Friday, November 11, 2011

Painted Furniture: New Life For An Old Piece

We had some unseasonably warm weather this week and the weatherman warned that the warm weather would not be sticking around and this time he was right! That forecast earlier in the week left me feeling a little anxious - like it's now or never for spray painting outside. I think I single-handily burned a whole in the ozone with all of the spraying that I did today- I'm just kidding of course, but I did go through five cans! 

I re-painted the settee and chair for the music room. It was black- it is now cream and there will be a post about my change of heart soon. I've put the music room on the back burner while I finish up my office. Speaking of that, I painted the rug yesterday- as bizarre as that sounds! I can't wait to show it to you in an upcoming post.


Isn't this an amazing piece. It's dramatic yet simple in it's styling. 
The wall covering is the perfect backdrop. 
Tobi Fairley
I currently have a couple of design jobs that require me to paint some furniture and that's mostly what I've been working on. {On a side note, I got the blueprints to the client for the addition that has been consuming sooo much of my time. IT FEELS GREAT to have that job behind me! Woo hoo!}
One of the items that I'm painting for a clients redesign is a dresser, well actually there is a matching pair. They are for a teenage boys room. I don't know about you but I love Tobi Fairley's clean, fresh style and I have been waiting for the perfect job to interject a little of that style into. 




Gustavian gray and white striped dresser
via Home Decor
I think that what is behind these dressers, in this case, the stripes, 
is the key to making the dresser really work.


Red Hen Home
Well isn't this pretty?


Horchow.com
Before I decided on the design for the dressers I'm painting, I considered doing stripes. The above vintage dresser looks upbeat and whimsical but not very masculine.


Taylor Chests 2889-70
madebyhickorychair.com

Here's a stripe that is masculine and classic. I'll have to keep this one filed away- I really like it.


Neoclassical chest with striped drawers and marble top

saragilbaneinteriors.com, House Beautiful

Not for this job, but hopefully a job in the future. Maybe my future lakeside home that I dream about.

I'll get pics up on Monday of the dressers that I'm working on.

What a great way to give new life to an old piece of furniture!
Don't you agree? 

6 comments:

  1. Painted the rug !! Waiting to see it.... The dressers look beautiful !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love every one of these dressers. I look forward to your post on Monday! I have an old hall table that needs a coat of paint. I might try to paint it this week!

    xoxoxoxxo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty, pretty, pretty! I'll need to think outside of the box next time I come across an old dresser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I really like the idea of painting old furniture to breath new life into the piece. The vertical stripes are a great idea and I love the classic masculine look of that one piece. I can't wait to see the pieces you're working on. I've got the dresser in our master calling my name but I just haven't had the energy to do it. It's a big sucker so it's going to take some time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all of these dressers, especially the gray one. Can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the dressers are fun and playful.

    It was some weekend. :-)

    Dee

    ReplyDelete