Monday, November 7, 2011

Purple: Not Just For A Girls Bedroom

Pinned Image
via


Happy Monday! Are you ready for a blast of purple. It's funny how colors emerge in popularity. You start hearing that a color is popular, you start seeing a picture here and there and then Boom- you spec the color purple for two different clients over the course of two weeks. Well, at least that's how it happened for me.



via


To be honest- I'm not a huge fan and I think I'm probably doing the color a disservice by posting so many purple rooms one after another. I do like a little bit of purple. I have an image of a purple powder room in my mind that must have really left an impression. I searched all over for it but couldn't find it. It was a small powder room with a Venetian mirror accompanied by two sconces with black shades. Sound familiar to anyone?



via Julianne Moore


I do remember that is was the foggy, purple color that Julianne Moore used in her own living room (above). It's subtle and when paired with gray and hits of black (or a Venetian mirror!) it is so very sophisticated.



via


Pair purple with other shades of purple like the photo above and wow- that's really making a statement. 



purple living room ideas
via


Purple shrouds the room above - almost like a purple haze. The little bit of black and cream upholstery take the sweetness out of the space. 


via
Here's another space with the same color scheme. It works!



via


I said take the sweetness out of the space and this is what I mean by that. For me, seeing a really purple room is like eating a brownie- I need  a glass of milk. Colors like white, gray and black serve the purpose of a big glass of milk. Another color that plays well with purple is a mossy green.




via


I've shown this image before. I just love it!
Yellow is the complementary color of purple so this, of course, creates drama.




via


Look at that wall color! It's probably called Gorgeous Eggplant or Ridiculously Beautiful Plum!  
Again- paired with silver, white, gray and hits of black - practically mandatory, make it chic, chic, chic.





powder blue, green and deep purple modern living room
via


I thought this was fun! Do you like it?

Here are a couple more rooms accessorized with purple elements:



via


...purple chairs


purple living room ideas
via
...graphic purple rug


via

Of course purple is probably most commonly used in girl's bedrooms but I hope I gave you some inspiration for using it in the more public rooms of your home. 



purple living room ideas
via
I would love to hear what you think about this color. Passing trend? Design is so accessible these days that I think we are all looking for something a little different. I think using purple will be thought of as different for quite a while and when paired with classic elements- it has a timeless appeal.


Update: I just found this pic and I have to include it in this post- it's too perfectly purple not too!


HDF

8 comments:

  1. I could really enjoy purple in someone else's house (that photo with the tall windows and long drapes is gorgeous), but it would make me feel edgy. lol Sounds funny, but I think that would be true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to have found your blog... thanks for your comment! Enjoyed your post...I do love a deep eggplant, it can be very sophisticated, especially- like you said- paired with classic elements. And yes, that powder room sounds familiar...I'll look for it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty, I have never thought purple looks as good as it does lately..been seeing it a lot more and its looking really really beautiful. In the right dose, and the right shade, its a stunning color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the image of the purple wallpaper and the chartreuse chair - that is right up my alley. I could do purple in small doses. I'd love to use in someone else's home though. I was just looking through a magazine and saw a Madeline Weinrib ad and it was done in all purple - very eye catching and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My little daughter loves purple, but you're right... we can use it anywhere. I love how you showed it to us. Fantastic post. Makes me want to add more purple around my house.

    Have a blessed day!

    xo

    Luciane at HomeBunch.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a purple kind of girl. After seeing all those beautiful rooms I could change my mind. :-)

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great inspiration images, but purple is a bit outside of my comfort zone. I think if I painted a room purple, I'd love it for a little while, but I'd be itching to repaint after a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love purple...grey purples are on my radar right now...I'm not completely sold on it for a whole room...I would rather keep it neutral and put it in with accessories!

    ReplyDelete