Monday, April 25, 2011

The Iconic Bentwood Chair


Sara Ruffin Costello's (editor of Domino) living room/dining room.

Did you have a nice weekend? I sure hope so! 
I'm still obsessing a bit about the new (soon to be) study. I've decided not to paint or do anything structural -it's pretty much pulling pieces of furniture out of storage and other rooms in the house and arranging them. I'm considering using some bentwood chairs that we've been storing because they are small and light.


Spray painting them black would certainly be easy and I like the look.

Source
Bentwood chairs have been around since the early eighteen hundreds when Michel Thonet invented them. 

Source
Thonet was a German, living in Vienna, when he created the bentwood process: soaking, steaming, bending and molding wood into various shapes.

Source
Most of the bentwood seen in the eighteenth century was manufactured in France, Austria and Poland.

Source
In 1870, when Thonet's patent expired, several other companies went into production making bentwood chairs. One of those companies was Mundus and Kohn. Eventually the companies merged and are still in existence today as Thonet Company.

Source
 Speaking of the armchair version, (above) the celebrated 20th century architect Le Corbusier stated "Never has anything been created more elegant and better in its conception, more precise in its execution, and more excellently functional."

Elle Decor
The iconic No 14 chair is still manufactured today as the No. 214 chair. It consist of six pieces. The design has remained unchanged for nearly 150 years.

Source
Often referred to as the bistro chair, it has become the most influential design in the history of furniture. 

Decor Pad
Of all of the finishes that I've seen, this is the one that I favor most.

Apartment Therapy

I love the chairs paired with the Saarinen's modern tulip table.

Source
Muriel Brandolini’s Upper East Side townhouse.

Source

Sources and Excerpts: Lennonhall Antiques ,  Patrick Taylor,  EBay Guides

It's estimated that Thonet chairs have seated more people than any other chair in history? It is amazing to me how timeless this chair is! I like to try and think about what new piece of furniture will stand the test of time like Thonet's No.14. Will there ever be one? Any ideas?

Be sure to sign up for the Pet Portrait Give Away!
Win a Gift Certificate for a Pet PortraiT

6 comments:

  1. I once found 4 vintage thonet chairs, I told the guy that I will go get the money from the car, by the time I was back they were sold, I wanted to slap him. He thought I was just saying that . Now each time I see a picture of them I hate him all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These just work in so many different settings. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these...great in the breakfast room!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post...
    I enjoy reading such information and looking at the gorgeous images that go with it.

    I'm your new follower ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do justice for the Brentwood chair! I think that may have been one of the first chairs I ever owned but it was in an ugly oak color.....the thing is they are so versatile and work in almost any setting. You showed them so well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always loved Brentwood Chairs and have several antique ones which were my Grandmother's. a classic that never goes out of style and can be mixed with anything

    ReplyDelete